From dry, static-filled hair to rough, cracking hands, the chill of winter sure takes its toll on your body. Here are a few soothing tips to help you care for sensitive skin and hair this winter season.
- Avoid the hot shower. Although a steaming hot shower can feel great after a long day of work, hot water actually strips your skin of its natural moisture and causes it to become even drier in the winter.
- Trade in your lotions for replenishing oils. Moisturizers and lotions are both good ways to add moisture back to dry skin, but nothing works better than rich grapeseed or argan oils. Apply these nourishing oils immediately after a bath or shower to help them absorb better.
- Care for your feet at home. By using a pumice stone on your feet once a week and applying a rich cream every night, you can prevent rough, calloused winter feet before they happen.
- Moisturize the scalp to prevent dandruff. One of the most obvious (and embarrassing) signs of stressed out winter skin is dandruff on the scalp. Prevent it by switching to an anti-dandruff shampoo, using only lukewarm water in the shower, and moisturizing the scalp with a vitamin-rich oil.
- Minimize shampooing. If your hair feels dry and brittle during the winter, try shampooing only every other day.
19 Tips for Healthier Skin and Hair This Winter [Greatist]
10 winter skin and hair care tips you can’t do without! [The Health Site]
Winter-Proofing Your Skin, Hair, and Eyes [Real Simple]